Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Is she having seizures?

So today we I piked A up from school and me, A and O went to the University Therapy building for A's usual Wednesday OT and Social Skills class. We have a break between OT and Social Skills and so the kids play in the waiting room with the other kids and it is like a mad house in there. I talk to the other moms and it is very interesting hearing how they deal with their children's disabilities and gifts. When the SLP came out and called A to come in for her class, as usual she was spaced out and it took calling her a name a few times to get her attention and then she went with her therapist to do her little class.
The weird part...the part I am leading up to is one of the moms I talk to came up to me and sat down and she looked pretty nervous. I really like this mom. She is an amazing person who homeschools her kids and her typical daughter is the sweetest little girl ever and is so kind to the children there who have disabilities and is never rude. Her brother goes there for therapy. He has CP and seizures. Well, this mom said to me, "I really hope I don't offend you but I think that I need to share this with you."
That kind of scared me because I tend to say some dumb things sometimes and wondered if she was going to call me out on something that I said that was controversial or odd. But I decided to keep an open mind and not get too worried.
I told her that it was OK and to let me know what was up.
She told me that when A was being called by her therapist to come with her and how A just was standing there staring out of the side of her eyes at nothing, then seemed startled out of it by the therapist calling her name, as if she were waking up out of something...she said that this was exactly what her son, Nathan did when he was having his absence seizures. She said that Nathan is on medication for it and is doing really amazingly well. She said that the seizures cause regression, and could have been the cause of A's sudden regression at age 2 and that they can be treated so that she stops spacing out all the time.
I told this mom that A had an EEG before and there were no seizures. she said that absence seizures can be once every 4 hours and that the half hour study could have simply missed them. She said that A needs a 24 hours study.
I asked for the name of her doctor and he is 3 hours from our town. But I am going to call our pediatrician tomorrow and talk to her about it and see what she says.
Wish me luck. I hope this is truly something treatable.
me.

No comments: