Saturday, March 21, 2009

Happiness Prevails


Emmy had her first dr appt today. She said that Emmy was "perfect." I figure that if you are going to be perfect at any time in your life, it is when you are baby and you can't mess things up too much. So she is perfect at looking dang cute, eating, pooping and sleeping. I think I am pretty perfect at the last three too though so it must run in the family.

She was 1 oz more than her birth weight which means she is getting breast milk and after my trauma with AJ not getting enough colustrum and her blood sugar being low because of it and having to suppliment in the hospital, well, it feels good to not be going through that again. I didn't have any milk for AJ because I was taking Zoloft and Zoloft inhibits the let down reflex, kind of like how it inhibits an orgasm too. Your body just is kind of numb from feeling stuff, which is great if you are numb from being anxious about stupid things...but not great if you can't feel natures gifts. Anyway, Zoloft-free for the past year, I have enough milk but am still in major, major pain from the latch but it goes away after a few seconds. I wonder, wonder when that pain will go away. What if it never does. What if months from now I am still wincing in terrible pain every time she latches on? I doubt it but I don't know.

DH is playing video games right now as I type. The kids are sleeping, including Emmy, in her sleep positioner on our bed. I think she is getting used to that being her place to sleep. She lay happily on her floor mat in her bedroom as I sat in there and folded laundry and put them into piles. She lay there for about 10 minutes without crying or anything...just kicking and making noises and cooing and looking at me while cramming her tiny fingers in her mouth. Amazing.

AJ was good today. Emmy slept while I was able to do the night time routine with the other two. They were clearly happy that they had me back for an evening to do that. They even let me wash their hair without too much fuss. Tomorrow morning I am going to go and buy some flowers to give as thank you's to freinds who have been bringing food and gifts to help us this past week. My friend Sally has brought me tons of stuff, like a bathtub she found at a garage sale which is small with a kind of insert that is perfect for sponge-bathing Emmy on the kitchen counter. She has made dinner (chicken rice-pasta salad with nuts and grapes) and hummus and two batches of butternut squash soup...while managing to not stray from our absurdly difficult list of food requirements and no no's. I told her that I don't expect anyone to cook for my family since it is hard to know what to do or how to put anything together with no casein, gluten, soy, MSG, food from cans lined with BPA's, preservatives...and preferably all organic. But she still made us food and so did another friend using rice pasta, ground beef, peppers and pepperoni made a type of goulash, is what DH called it. A mom from Owen's school gave us a bunch of hot pink cloth diapers, a bike trailer and the cutest girl clothes from Gymbore and little fancy boutiques...stuff I could never afford. Usually when you get clothes from friends/acquaintances they have weeded out the best stuff for close friends or to save. But this is the stuff that I remember her baby girl wearing and thinking she had such beautiful clothes. So I kind of feel like I have struck the lottery with this. The amount of generosity and giving and kindness from people over the past week is really baffling and appreciated. So tomorrow I will get the flowers and vases and do some delivery's around town, or well, DH will. I don't really like leaving the house since our nursing sessions are still so close together and still painful at first. I was really nervous about taking her to the dr this morning but it worked out just fine. I even nursed in the room waiting for the dr, which I really didn't want to do in such a germy environment. But it went just fine. My mom was with me which was a comfort. I don't want to drive Emmy anywhere though, I just want to keep her in a bubble...not realistic I know.

Finally, AJ brought her Kindergarten report card home today and got all 1's...all of them, which is like straight A's.

me.







No comments: