Sunday, February 3, 2008

Progressive Pedes

Yesterday we took A.J. to Progressive Pede's, a Dr. that the autism biomed group told us about that is in Jacksonville and does not have the wait list of a DAN! Dr. Also it is covered by insurance because it is a pediatrician's office. The doctor specializes in autism and I was told that they "do everything a DAN! Dr does except for chelation." The Dr. told us about the methyl b12 shots and I said I have been wanting to do them for a while. We gave A.J. one right then and there and the Dr. arranged to have the syringes mailed to my house. I can't believe it. Of course I am already looking for changes in A.J. but no major changes. She is doing very well, but is still lethargic and still doesn't make good eye contact. She has been better at calling out, "mom!" then asking me something after I respond. It is nice to have a "back and forth" with her. That doesn't usually happen.

The Dr pretty much dismissed what the other autism mom told me to do (her advice email is in an earlier post.) She said that the b12 will do what the taurine does and that carnetine is $500 a month and that A.J. doesn't need it. She told me to get something called Juice Plus. But she also had it advertized in her office on a poster and you could purchase it through the little store they had at the practice. So I was glad to go there and get the shots arranged, but I don't know if she perscribed/recommended the Juice Plus because A.J. needs it or because the Dr. gets a kickback from selling it to her patients. I don't know. But we will try it. It is not actually juice. It is gummy bears or chewables. It is made up of dried fruits and vegetables. I mentioned that we don't go overboard with the fruit because the sugar can feed yeast. She said that fruits also have important anti-oxidants in them and to just stay away from starchy fruits like bananas. She said she thought the three lac probiotics will take care of the yeast.

I am still going to look into the carnetine and after doing the b12 for a couple of months, if she is still lethargic I will start putting taurine in her drinks.

I hate playing doctor. D.H. asked this new doctor if she sees a difference in her autistic patients after working with them with these methods encompassing diet intervention, probiotics, vitamins and enzymes. She said yes, definitely, she always sees an improvement. She was sure it would catch on with the general medical community in the next couple of years.
me..P

No comments: