Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Beginning Ideas of GFCFSF diet help (will be continually continued)

Diet free of gluten, casein, soy, peanut butter, preservatives, MSG, BPA's


There are more dinner ideas than I am listing, but my kids don't like salad, mushrooms and really quite a lot of good stuff. What I have listed is what I give the kids for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My dinner is often different because I like my cheese and wheat bread. Our favorite dinner though is rice pasta with sauce. I put fake meat in my sauce but AJ can't have it as it is made of soy. We all have our rice pasta with red sauce and I also eat garlic bread with mine. If we have some of AJ's gfcf bread on hand she will dip it in olive oil. She loves olive oil and it is good for her. Every family is different with different likes and dislikes. This is a list that works for us and can be tweaked and expanded upon by other families trying to figure out what to eat with this limiting but nutricious diet.

dinner ideas:

1. black bean burgers
note: make a bunch and freeze them for your little one so they always have a protein dinner staple when you don't want to eat GFCFSF with them.

a. Just mush up a can of black beans. Use Eden brand canned black beans as that is the only kind that does not line their cans with BPA's.

b. . Health food stores carry the bread crums you can use, they are Gillians bread crumbs and can also be found on GilliansFoods.com and here is the link right to the bread crumbs:

http://glutenfreegilliansfoods.netfirms.com/glutenfreegilliansfoods//catalog/product_info.php?products_id=64&osCsid=c55acec532117e81560e15622e8a86da


2. I barely cook fish because I am worried about mercury, but when we do have it I buy Wild Alaskan Salmon or Tilapia, as currently they are the two types of fish with the lowest mercury. I usually just bake it on the oven for 20 minutes with lemon juice pored all over it and cut up garlic. It is delicious.

3. Organic chicken for parmasan chicken (with no cheese of course.) Just get a kitchen hammer and hammer out some chicken breasts until they are flat (and will cook quicly in the frying pan)
a. get out 3 paper plates and in one put some rice or bean flower, the next put some beaten eggs and the last have some bread crumbs

b. coat the flattened chicken first in the flower, then the egg, then the bread crumbs and put right into the pan.

This is so delicious that the whole family can eat it and you can melt cheese on the chicken that is for family members who are not on the diet. This can be put on rice pasta with organic red pasta sauce. Always check your ingredients on the sauce label.

4. Nitrate-free organic hot dogs...cut them up to be dipped in ketchup or mayo




note: I pair these main course dinner staples with organic fresh veggies, mostly spinach, broccoli, corn and peas. These can be bought in the frozen organic section too. I get the kids to eat their peas by having them count them as they pop them in their mouth.


Desert:

I don't do a regular desert since I like to keep AJ's sugar intake low as it promotes yeast growth and she seems to get stumbly and agitated after a lot of sugar. But we do have some "ice cream" on hand such as frozen coconut, acai berry and rice dream vanilla. I don't give her chocolate because it seems to have a negative affect on her.

I keep organic suckers on hand from the health food store. They are sweetened with fruit juice. But again, these are a rare treat.

My mom makes amazing GFCFSF chocolate chip cookies that I will get the recipe for.

I keep GFCFSF chocolate chips on hand for a small treat and bribe

At birthdays I make the cakes that come in the box, but I haven't checked them recently for soy which I will have to do as taking soy our of her diet over the past few months has been a major help.




LUNCH:

1. egg salad
I boil the eggs for about 12 minutes then cool them and grate them. Then I add mayonaise. AJ loves Helmens Real Mayonaise. I would rather her have organic but this is one thing that she LOVES and we don't have to take away. If you buy the little jars of the may you can get it in glass rather than plastic. I put this in her lunch box in a dollup with a spoon and some organic blue corn chips which she dips into the egg salad.

2. Organic chicken lunch meat. I never buy turkey anymore because it puts her to sleep. Sometimes we get ham which she loves, but I am already squeamish about not being vegetarian anymore and so we don't often.
note: I either pull this into little peieces that she can dip in mayo or roll them up like how you see on an appetizer plate.

3. organic nitrate-free hot dogs

4. Almond butter and jelly on rice cakes.

5. bacon

I pair this stuff with:

a. Soft cubed carrots in the gerber baby food section. They are in a glass jar and can be dumped in a lunch box tub in seconds and she loves to eat them as finger food. She doesn't like crunchy carrots so this works better. I like that it is in glass but they don't have organic ones yet.
b. Soft green beans in the gerber jar
c. steamed organic carrots cut up
d. fruit (cut up apples with a bit on lemon juice on them so they don't turn brown, organic grapes, organic blueberries as often as possible, organic strawberries and she loves kiwi fruit
e. peas
d. sometimes she will actually eat cold, left over steamed broccoli when I put it in her lunch
e. hummus (check and make sure there aren't lots of preservatives. Local made stuff at the health food store is best).
f. organic baby tomatoes
g. rice cakes
h. organic raisins



Breakfast:
1. Rice Krispies with rice milk and a little bit of organic sugar


No comments: