Wednesday, January 7, 2009

When I brought AJ into school this morning none of the girls were interested in playing with her and she could tell. I stay with her in the morning until the bell rings and they start the morning meeting. This morning a little boy, Cameron was playing a game by himself and she has talked about him before and he seems sweet. So I encouraged her to ask him if we could play and he was happy to say yes...probably the only kid there who would be happy to say yes to playing with her except perhaps one other little girl, Marley, who has a kind heart. So we played this board game until the "line leader" of the day rang the little bell which means put the toys (which they call "work") away and get in a circle. I left and peaked in the door. I saw AJ sit next to Clara who kind of bristled and looked annoyed. Then I saw AJ decide to move and go and sit next to Marley who I feel like tolerates her politely. I left feeling pretty depressed and went by the office to find out when this new aid is supposed to start. The assistant director, Jennifer told me that the aid was going to start next monday and would be in this week meeting the class and getting to know AJ and the kids. I think it is a shame that AJ has to struggle through the first week back on her own, then when it gets easier the next week, her aid starts. It will be 2 hours a day.
When I went to pick AJ up I spoke to her teacher at pick up, her teacher stays for 15 minutes after so if the kids are collected early I get a chance to chat which is really nice. I told her how I got a weird vibe this morning, and yesterday too really and she said yes, and that this afternoon she asked 2 girls to help AJ with a project, and that the girls really tried to help and the three of them had a good dialogue going together. I told her thank you and that this is what AJ needs, because the girls feel a sense of responsibility towards her and AJ gets to enjoy the comrodary.

After I dropped her off I went home and tried to think of what I could do (this seems to happen after every break.) So I called a mom of one of classmates, the one who lives closest and she has a strong personality. In fact she wasn't nice to AJ the first few weeks of school and the teacher had to talk to this little girl, Talula's mom. It got straightened out. Talula still isn't that interested in being friends with AJ but I have a feeling that since she has a strong personality and I think, is a good kid really, that if we do some activities together outside of school that she will learn how to befriend AJ and that it might translate to the classroom a bit better. Talula's mom anwsered the phone which kind of surprised me because I was hoping I would just be able to leave a message and not have to actually speak to a real person. She was very nice though and said they couldn't meet at the park today but maybe Thursday. So I hope that works out. She also said that her friends were meeting at the park today and that it was a mom's group she belongs to and that perhaps I could connect with them. That sounded promising.

I also wrote two notes in little butterfly cards to two parents. One is the parent of Marley and I was cringing to do it because they are very very wealthy and the father is in a popular band so I was terribly nervous and feeling rediculous that I was reaching out to try and make a connection. But I did it since Marley is so sweet to AJ and I put my own middle school fears aside to try and make something happen for AJ. I also put the same play date note in a card for a little girl, Elisabeth's mom because AJ often talks about Elisabeth and her old aid told me that Elisabeth is kind to AJ.

So when I picked up AJ, and when I spoke to her teacher, I also gave her these two cards and I was very nervous about it which was kind of embarrassing. Her teacher is so sweet though. She told me the mom's names to write on the envelopes and when I messed one of them up she got me a new envelope from the classroom...(that is how far out of my comfort zone I was, that I couldn't even get the envelope right.) Her teacher held up the cards and said she would put them in the kid's cubbies and she said, "This is good, this is how you do it!" That made me feel a bit better because I kind of feel like I am putting myself out there to basically be ignored. It is not very likely that they will call at all and I don't feel like being sad or frustrated about it. So, I just won't be. I will just be happy that I tired I guess. We will see if someone wants to meet us at the park.

Now I pretty much like most people and I certainly don't judge people. I especially like quirks, odities and most of all, kind and open hearts. But I will end this story of today to talk about Kevin's mom. Kevin is in AJ's class and is also picked up right after school like AJ and doesn't go to play group after like most kids their class. He sometimes likes to play with AJ after school, just running around while his mom and I and other parents talk and also chat with the teachers. Kevin is kind of Aspergers so AJ's mixed messages don't phase him at all, he just obliviously persists and she complies and follows him to look for bugs around the side of the school and such. But even though Kevin's mom is a nice, kind hearted lady, I have to say that I have a hard time spending more than 10 minutes around her. She doesn't stop talking and her conversations are shockingly open, slightly crass and sometimes pitiful, often exposing herlself to be a little bit crazy (which hey, who isn't) but she is so nuts that it is exhausting and I often look for an escape exit when she catches me in conversation. BUT today was "get AJ some class friend's day" and she was playing so well with Kevin after school, that when I was done talking to her teacher I told Kevin's mom that I was going to the park near my house and would they care to join us? She immediately said yes so I gave her directions and off we went.

More tomorrow...I'm tired and have to try and figure out how to get rid of this 32 week preg heart burn.
Good night,
me.

No comments: