Monday, February 2, 2009

Fever gets rid of sensory issues

We are now on day 4 of AJ's flu. I took her to her pediatrician today after more than 3 days of 103+ fevers and they did a flu test which is a swab on the back of the throat. I didn't know they could do that. And yes, she has it. But her throat, ears and chest are all great. The pediatrician said for having the flu, AJ looks really good and that the fevers aren't too worrysome.

 I told her pediatrician that this flu we have been dealing with is bitter sweet though because AJ seems completely shed of all sensory issues. She is focussed and interested and makes great eye contact. She is calm and if she was like this all the time I would consider her very close to being recovered. I love it when she is like this. She has been sleeping in our bed which usually is awful because she picks at me. But these past few days she is calm and doesn't need to constantly fidgit. Her conversation skills are flowing and make sense and she looks at me while we talk. This is not something that happens like this when AJ is not sick with a fever. I have been getting lots of hugs randomly. It is wonderful. I wish I could bottle it.

But when the fevers get really high she is very sick and very upset and I get really worried about her. We have been doing warm baths when it gets into the high 103's and she hates that but is very well behaved. This whole thing is so odd. I don't know what her body is fighting off while she has a fever but it comes back when her fever and illnesses have gone and her sensory issues kick in again. Why isn't this being studied? I know I am not the only mom saying this.
me.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yes, I've heard about this so much, and though Hutton isn't sick often (which is good) seeing him sick is actually nice, in that you see those "typical" behaviors we all know are there, hiding out! Well, as nice as having a sick kid could be.

me said...

AJ isn't sick often either, which seems to go against the general theory of kids on the spectrum who are affected by environmental toxins. Usually you hear of medical horror stories to go along with that. I find it interesting that your little one stays health like AJ and is still affected by environmental toxins. Is that right?
me.